A recidivist convict, who was arrested at the time of finishing his prison term, has been named a suspect in connection with last year’s terrorist attack in Central Jakarta, police said on Tuesday (22/08).
It appears to be the third case against Aman Abdurrahman, who was released last Thursday after receiving remission to his nine-year jail term at a prison on Nusakambangan Island in Central Java.
Police took Aman to the Mobile Brigade headquarters in West Java four days earlier, and named him a terrorism suspect on Friday, National Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Martinus Sitompul said.
“He stands accused of inciting the Thamrin attack and of being a conduit for funding it,” Martinus said.
The coordinated gun and bomb attack near the Sarinah shopping mall on Jalan Thamrin in January last year, which killed four people, has been the biggest assault in nearly two years, during which a series of Islamic State-inspired attacks have occurred in parts of Indonesia.
Police associate some of the attacks with Jemaah Ansharut Daulah, an organization believed to be led by Aman. The group has reportedly been uniting small terror cells with hundreds of Islamic State sympathizers across the country.
In December 2010, Aman was sentenced to nine years in prison for funding a militant training camp in Aceh, a case which involved dozens of militants.
In February 2005, he was sentenced to seven years in prison following explosions at his home in Depok, West Java. He was reportedly assembling bombs.