Medan — National Police Chief General Tito Karnavian asserted that the bomb explosion in Sibolga City, North Sumatra did not link to the simultaneous Indonesian election this year. Tito said that it was terrorism.
Tito made the statement based on the police investigation result before the terror raid that triggered explosions. “They do not have any relation to the election. No link between [the terror act] and the upcoming democracy party,” said Tito in Medan, late Tuesday, March 12.
Tito explained that the perpetrator had affiliations with radical group ISIS. Thus, the network would continue to carry out terrorism as it had indoctrinated its followers regardless of the election.
The police’s anti-terror squad Densus 88 on Friday last week had arrested one suspect, Husain Alkas Abu Hamzah, in Lampung and that the team pursued three other suspects in Sibolga. Based on Husain’s claim, Densus 88 had caught two suspects in different places. “So we have detained three terrorists in Sibolga,” Tito added.
Explosions occurred during the police terror raid at Husain’s house where the suspect’s wife and three children refused to surrender. According to Husain, his house was filled with explosive devices. “We are ready to face the risk whatever will happen to the person because according to Husain, his wife is pretty harsh,” Tito said.