Jakarta —- The Indonesian Foreign Affairs Ministry Spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir responded to the news of the death of the Indonesian ISIS leader Bahrun Naim. He maintained that such news was not unheard before. “News such as this is difficult to confirm,” wrote Arrmanatha in a Whatsapp message on Saturday, July 7.
Previously reported, the alleged death of Bahrun Naim (34) was reported by Singapore-based news agency Channel News Asia on July 4. The news suggests that Bahrun had been killed during a drone attack commenced by the United States military in Syria.
Unverified news report of Bahrun Naim’s death was also reported to the public back in November of 2017. However, the Channel News Asia’s source said that the latest news of the terrorist’s death is believed to be effective in weakening ISIS propaganda.
“Naim is able to influence an individual to join ISIS. He teaches how to construct bombs through the Telegram app by uploading the techniques to do so,” said the source. Bahrun had been linked to a terror attack in Jakarta in 2016.
Back in July 2017, the United Nations Security Council included Bahrun Naim in its list of people that are involved in funding, planning, facilitating, and preparing attacks in behalf of ISIS.
However, the Indonesian National Police, which continues to monitor the development of Bahrun Naim’s death stated that it did not rule out the possibility that such death could be part of Bahrun Naim’s strategy. “It can possibly be Bahrun Naim’s strategy to evade,” said National Police Spokesman Brig. Gen. Mohammad Iqbal on July 6.