Malaysia’s Prime Minister Najib Razak, in a Facebook post today (Jul 17), described the tragedy involving Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH17 as a “criminal act that outraged the world”.
Today marks exactly two years since the tragedy. The Boeing 777 was shot down over eastern Ukraine by a Russian-made Buk missile, the Dutch Safety Board concluded last year in its final report on the crash in July 2014 that killed all 298 people on board, most of them Dutch.
“The Malaysian government continues all efforts to find a full and satisfactory explanation of the events that led to this tragedy, just as we continue to strive for justice through the avenues of international law,” the Prime Minister added.
“We will never forget the passengers and crew, nor the grief of the victims’ families. Our thoughts and prayers are with them on this most painful of days.”
Mr Najib also posted his comments on Twitter.
Two yrs ago, flight MH17 was shot down over Ukraine. It was a criminal act tht outraged the world & caused the loss of all 298 lives aboard.
— Mohd Najib Tun Razak (@NajibRazak) July 17, 2016
Malaysia’s transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Saturday preliminary conclusions from the forensic investigation into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 two years ago could be received later this year.
He said the investigation team, comprising representatives from Malaysia, the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium and Ukraine, remained “committed and determined in our pursuit to bring justice” to those responsible.